Your final examination is scheduled for Tuesday, June 13, 4:00–7:00 p.m. Here is the essay question that will appear on your exam, for which we expect a very detailed answer. It will be worth 60 percent of your grade.
Write a history of the Progressive Era. The essay should draw from all your class readings and should answer the following questions. The answers should come in the form of people, important events, social movements, trends, laws, court decisions and similar items of historical significance.
• What was the essence of Progressivism? Define the movement.
• When do you think it began?
• Describe, in detail, three major achievements of the Progressive era.
• Describe, in detail, two movements associated with the Progressive era.
• Describe two ways in which, in hindsight, the Progressive era could be called the “Regressive Era.”
• Identify two Presidents associated with this period. How did they differ?
• When do you think that the Progressive Era ended? Why?
Seven identifications will also appear on the exam. They will come from your three ID lists. You will have to identify four of them in paragraphs of four or five sentences. Each will be worth a maximum of 10 points.
Bring a blue book!